Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Debt IS Slavery

"the borrower is servant to the lender"
- Proverbs 22:8, The Holy Bible

I'm happy to see churches addressing this problem (although worshiping at the altar of almighty debt is in no way a problem exclusive to Black Americans).  It has always smacked of hypocrisy to me when pastors not only encourage their members to go into debt (e.g. prosperity ministries), but sit at the head of a multi-million dollar mega church and don't help their members in need.

I've always tried my best not to owe anyone. We were taught early on that credit cards are evil.  I've had a few since then and this is the first time my balance has gotten out of control.  There is definitely a sense of oppression that comes with that.  I'm pretty extreme when it comes to my feelings about debt.  The Bible explicitly warns against being in debt to anyone PERIOD; so I always found it odd when churches encouraged property ownership, because - as most Americans have now learned - unless you can buy the house outright - you don't own a damn thing and you wind up in what will likely be the biggest debt in your life (unless you get seriously ill of course - that will really ruin you financially in the good ol' USA).  The BANK owns your house/condo.  Try not paying your mortgage. You'll find out who owns what so fast your head will spin.  I miss the freedom of renting - the freedom of the ability to just walk away.  Sure, you can't make any money when you're renting but you also can't make a profit if you can't sell your home - and you wind up with ruined credit.  Pick your poison.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...